Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day 3: Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge

I am participating in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry. For seven days, I will use only flat cloth diapers and handwash and line dry them. You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post. This year, over 450 participants are taking the challenge from all over the world.

My favorite way to use flats is the pad fold.  It is very easy to fold, gives layers and layers of absorbency, and is used just like an all-in-two system.  This is a great fold for those new to flats.

First I "boy fold" the front of the flat by folding it up several inches in the front.  This makes it fit in the cover better and also gives added absorbency in the front.  For a girl, you could make an extra fold in the middle if desired. 

Next fold it in half and in half again so that you have a square. 

Finally fold in thirds (tri-fold), and lay in a cover.



Last night I used two flats with an origami fold. I started with the flats laying on top of each other,  folded them together, snappied them on and used a homemade upcycled wool soaker.  I'll post more about the soaker later in the week.  The combination worked well without any leaks, but I was not happy with the fit.  It looked fine when I put my son to bed, but in the morning, the fold had shifted and narrowed in the front.  Fibers from the red soaker were stuck to his boy parts.  If he had soiled his diaper, I'm not sure it would have all stayed in the diaper. 

Today I've been using the diaper bag fold.  It fits him a little better and gives more absorbency in the front.  It is extremely thin in the back.  If he had a runny poop, I'm not sure that fold would keep his cover clean.  For him, I do like the fit better than the origami fold.  I may try that fold tonight using two flats.      

For now, the pad fold is by far my favorite. 

1 comment :

  1. I've been pad folding for my kids lately too. It is the only thing quick enough sometimes!

    ReplyDelete