Sunday, May 27, 2012
Day 5 - Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge
1. There is a small learning curve to folding flats. After 5 days, I think I have it down. This is Asher's morning diaper (diaper bag fold with a pad fold inside). It still looks great after wearing it all night!
2. I've learned how to diaper bag fold and Joe fold and practiced more with the pad fold and origami fold.
3. Hand washing is not my first preference, but it is a viable option. I would hand wash before putting disposables on my baby. Flats are the easiest diaper to hand wash because they get very clean and dry quickly.
4. Soaking a dirty flat (in a safe area) in between washings really helps get them clean. Disclaimer: I typically don't recommend wet pails. They can lead to excessive wear on the PUL and elastic in diapers, it's dangerous to have standing water in a home with babies and toddlers, they are messy, and they are usually unnecessary with a good washing routine (in a machine.)
5. Flats will be my new go-to when traveling.
The Changing Table has avoided carrying flats because prefolds work so great. However, this challenge has opened my eyes to the benefits of flat diapers. I'm excited to offer flats in the near future.