Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 6 - Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge

I am participating in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry. For seven days, I will use only flat cloth diapers and hand wash and line dry them. You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post. This year, over 450 participants are taking the challenge from all over the world.

Today is a free topic day.

Since I'm really trying to participate in this challenge as inexpensively as possible, at night I've been using a wool soaker that I made from a thrift store sweater.  What I want to stress is that I don't sew...ever.  So if I can do this, anyone can.  I did use a machine, but you could hand sew one.  I used the Katrina pattern.  When you are using an upcycled sweater, choose a sweater that's at least 80% wool.  I used a cashmere sweater which works fine but does not felt well.  Felting is the process of shrinking your sweater before you work with it.  Just wash the sweater on hot and dry it on hot to felt.  (Really thick sweaters should not be felted.)  Polyester thread works best because it will not wick the way cotton thread can.  Wool should be lanolized to make it waterproof.

Out of one thrift store sweater, I made a pair of longies and two soakers.  I was at the thrift store on military day, so my cheap sweater was even cheaper.  One soaker cost less than $3. 

So, this challenge has cost less than $45.  I am ending the challenge with 6 Swaddlebees flats, two Bummis covers, one homemade soaker, and one snappi.  Luckily, I had all of this, so the challenge actually cost me nothing.

Limited diapering supplies is possible but not reasonable.  I do wish I had more flats.  I would like at least twelve.  And I can never keep track of snappis, so in reality, I would need about three.  I would also like at least one more PUL cover, preferably a one size cover with snaps like the Blueberry coveralls.  Asher is starting to get scrapes on the top of his thigh and his belly from the hook and loop on his covers.  

Even with adding one more cover, two more snappis, and six more diapers,  the total cost would be around $75.  With one size covers, that could take you from birth to potty training.  And the best thing is that you don't have to have a fancy washing machine...or even one at all.

No comments :

Post a Comment